Moving or shifting house is a stressful job irrespective of the time it is being done in. The thought of packing all your belongings in boxes can be overwhelming. The packers and movers help you these days to ease out the stress of the move. A Movers Waterloo company comes in handy for this job due to their great experience in dealing with such matters. The packing of every item is done in different types of boxes according to the needs of the people.
While making a move, the question arises whether to use recycled boxes by asking friends and family or making a purchase of new ones from the market. This decision largely depends on the client’s budget and the item to be transported. The fragile and expensive items should be moved into new and strong boxes considering the value of the item, and the reused boxes can lead to breakage at times due to multiple usages over time and losing their strength.
Tips to keep in mind while packing boxes:
- Don’t overstuff- The thumb rule while packing is to avoid overstuffing the boxes. The overstuffing can lead to heavier boxes in weight and lifting them can be very tricky. Each box should not weigh more than 50 pounds. The boxes of furniture and electronic items will generally be heavy and lifted by multiple people or through equipment.
- Different sizes- The different sizes of the boxes are used for different purposes:
- 16 by 12.5 by 12.5 inches is used to carry the weight of around 60 pounds. This size box is perfect for books, kitchen items, dishes, small appliances and lamp shades.
- The 18 by 18 by 16 inches box size is great for carrying pots, pans and electronics and takes weight around 65 pounds.
- 18 by 18 by 24 inches is good for larger lamps, linens and larger kitchen appliances.
- A 22 by 22 by 21.5 inches box can carry up to 70 pounds but should be filled with lighter items like pillows, toys, cushions, bolsters and large blankets as it becomes very heavy if filled with heavier items.
- 24 by 18 by 24 inches is a rectangular-shaped box that works best for big blankets, comforters and big cushions.
- Wardrobe boxes- Hanging wardrobe boxes comes in three different sizes, i.e. small, medium and large. Chandeliers and wind chimes that are risky to carry flat are carried in a hanging way in the wardrobe boxes. These boxes look exactly like a wardrobe with a metal rod in between to hang items exactly like a closet. This is a space-taking box but works perfectly for items that cannot be carried lying flat. Wardrobe box for laying down items- it resembles a dresser drawer and is perfect for items that can be folded only once. Overpacking these boxes can hamper the items inside.
- Mattress box- They are necessarily not required as the mover will pack the mattress in plastic wrap, but boxes for the mattresses come to protect it from outside elements or getting punctured in the move. The mattress boxes are available for cots and cribs as well.
Before starting packing your items and belongings, one should sort the items that are actually of requirement otherwise, carrying unnecessary items from one place to another will only add to the cost. The number of boxes required for packing largely depends on the number of people moving and the quantum of the move. If you are emptying the house altogether, then the number of boxes required will be relatively high and make it a thumb rule to label each corrugated cardboard box from three sides, making it highly visible. A movers crew has extreme efficiency in packing each box and also makes space for other items.
- It is also essential to tape all the sides of the boxes with strong adhesive tape so that it doesn’t open up in transit.
- Put some bubble wrap or newspapers to create cushioning in the box for delicate items.
- Wrap delicate items or crockery in bubble wrap or old towels to provide maximum protection from all sides.
- You should always place heavier items at the base and lighter ones at the top of it.
- Putting the stuff in the boxes till its brim will ensure no bending and breaking of the box takes place but not overstuff.
- The gaping items inside the box should be filled with crumpled paper, bubble wrap or old clothing, which will avoid the caving of the box and items shifting from their place during the movement.
- Sealing the box the right way is very important to avoid open boxes in transit. There should be no scope of opening up until and unless forcefully and purposely tries to open.
- Labelling the boxes along with the destination to be left is very important. For example, if the box contains items related to kids, it should directly go to the kid’s room rather than first leaving the box in the hallway, opening up and checking and again packing to move it to the kid’s room. This practice helps in sorting the items according to the place to be kept before even opening up.
- The necessities like medicines, puff, laptop, baby pacifier or any other item which hinders the process must be handy and in safe reach all the time.
A Movers Kitchener company takes liability for the items they have packed themselves, not the ones you have packed yourself, so to avoid any mistake, you should follow the guidelines mentioned above thoroughly and pack as per convenience rather than throwing stuff in the boxes at the last moment. The move should be pleasant for the client as well as the mover therefore, best practices should be adopted. If by any chance you are unsure about packing things yourself or have a lack of time in hand, it is always good to hire a professional to do the same for you. The effort, money and time will be saved along with insurance of items in transit. Happy packing to you!